Patrick J. McGovern, a member of the MIT Corporation since 1989, was the founder and chairman of International Data Group (IDG), the world’s leading technology publishing, research, and event management company. He began his publishing career while he was a student at MIT, and since graduating in 1959, he oversaw IDG’s launch of more than 300 magazines and newspapers, including Computerworld, Macworld, and PC World.
Pat passed away on March 19, 2014.
Lore Harp McGovern has founded or run companies in diverse fields including health care, educational publishing and high-tech, and is an investor in numerous start-up companies in Silicon Valley. She was a co-founder of Vector Graphic, one of the earliest PC companies, and was president and CEO of the educational publishing company Good Morning Teacher! She was named Entrepreneur of the Year in 1983 by Women Business Owners of New York and has been awarded the Distinguished Immigrant Award by the Commonwealth Club of San Francisco. She is Chair Emeritus of the Whitehead Institute’s Board of Associates.
- Read a message from the McGoverns.
- Watch a short video in which Patrick McGovern discusses his and Lore's motivations for establishing the McGovern Institute.
- Visit the MIT150 Infinite History website to watch an interview with Patrick McGovern.
- Read a profile of Patrick J. McGovern in the March 2012 issue of Korn/Ferry’s Briefings Magazine or download the pdf here.
- Read a profile of Patrick J. McGovern in the March 2006 issue of MIT Technology Review.
- Read a profile of Patrick McGovern in Success Magazine (pdf).
Images courtesy Kent Dayton