The centerpiece of the MEG lab at MIT is a Neuromag Triux system from Elekta, the first of its kind to be installed in North America. The scanner has a 306-channel probe unit with 204 planar gradiometer sensors and 102 magnetometer sensors, plus 128 channels for simultaneous EEG. The scanner can record subjects in three different positions: seated upright at 68 degrees, upright 60 degrees, or supine.
The MEG scanner includes an integrated 128-channel EEG system, allowing simultaneous EEG and MEG measurements. EEG caps with 64 or128 channels are available.
The shielded room, a modified Ak3b from Vacuumschmelze, is constructed with three layers of mu-metal for efficient passive shielding of external magnetic interference. It is equipped with Helmholtz coils for additional active noise suppression. Click here to view data on our noise suppression techniques.
Visual Stimulus System
The lab is equipped with a high fidelity projector (Panasonic PT-D10000U). The visual signal is projected through the wall of the shielded room to a 44’’ back-projection screen that is placed in front of the subject chair.
- Subject communication: A two-way audio system and a CCTV monitor support communication between experimenters and the subject inside the shielded room.
- Auditory stimulus system: A pair of tubal-insert earphones and accessories.
- Somatosensory stimulus system: A pair of electrical somatosensory stimulators.
- Response system: Subject responses, in the form of button presses, can be recorded with pair of 4-button response devices from Current Designs, or with a pair of one-finger laser response pads.
- Eye tracking system: A MEG-compatable eye tracking system (Eyelink 1000) is installed within the shielded room to monitor the subjects direction of gaze during scans.
- Patient chair and couch: Adjustable chair with separate child insert. Patient couch for supine measurements.
- DC-13 Degausser: Decreases unwanted magnetic fields.
- Subject preparation area with privacy curtain, linens and sink for hair-washing.
- Data Analysis Software: Elekta Neuromag data analysis software (100 licences); Freely distributed and public domain software (Brainstorm, MEG, etc)
- Data Analysis Workstation: HP xw6600, two 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processors, 4GB RAM, 30-inch TFT monitor